Thursday 11 November 2010

Life after graduation - Jazz Patel

Dear Visual Communication, 
Just thought that I would give you an update on what I have been up to since gaining my graphics degree last year; that I have seen a whole new world outside of Asda and have somehow managed to see light at the end of it's green tunnel.
You already know that I was volunteering for Voice 21 while I was studying, which I continued to do for a year in total.  I was also commissioned to do a magazine for The Public art gallery in West Bromwich working in partnership with UK Youth.  Through being in the building and working with other members of staff, a position became available and I took on a part time role at The Public and in doing so moved from a green uniform to a pink one!  Whilst working part-time at the gallery I decided to take on an Internship at a digital media agency called Gas Street Works, which is based in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter.  There I worked on various projects including web template designs, motion graphics, putting together marketing material and the re-branding of their logo. 
After completing five months with Gas Street Works I am now working full time for a company called Redan Publishing as a Junior Editorial Designer.  They are a main distributer of children's magazines, which include characters like Pepper Pig, Thomas the Tank Engine, Dora the Explorer and Scooby Doo just to name a few, and also produce magazines for the US and Australia.  Based in Shrewsbury its about a 40 minute drive for me, but a beautiful one so I don't mind it so much.  As an Editor I must come up with page layouts for the magazine as well as the content, all materials must be challenging and have proven educational value for children.  
I also continue to work Saturday's at The Public on Saturday Art Club for kids and lead these workshops every other week.  So in other words I'm doing alright, and my 4 years in University education has not gone to waste. I would be lying if there wasn't moments when I thought I wasn't going to find graphic-related work, shortlisted on a few interviews and failing to overcome the last hurdle.  Competition was high and the economic state of the country was not on my side, but a year later I've somehow pulled through. I'd like to thank you all for making this possible! 
Kind regards
Jazz Patel 

Jazz Patel graduated in 2009 with a 2:1 in Graphic Communication.  She was a pro-active student who pursued opportunities for work experience, quickly realising that one door often opened up another.  As a graduate her tenacity has rewarded her with a job that she loves and we are very proud of her - well done Jazz!

No comments:

Post a Comment