Friday 6 December 2013

Graduate Success update from Richard Braham


In autumn 2011 this blog posted details about Vis comm Graduate  Richard Braham and his company Mocha Dick's see here.
Since this time Richard's company has changed and is now called Whale Submarine.

"The Whale Submarine is a little design studio & apparel workshop located in the back streets of Newquay town, Cornwall, UK. Here we design and manually print all of our own apparel, produce our own artworks as well as working with some other interesting companies and artists too." says Richard

You can find The Whale Submarine workspace / shop at THE OLD BAKERY to the rear of 33 Crantock Street in amongst a great little community of local businesses with handmade jewelery and clothing from HOBO , wetsuits by Elsie at NEON, surfboards from W.E. , creative works from MACKIE STUDIO and photography from ADJ BROWN. The kettle is always on so pop by if you fancy a cup of tea or coffee!

"I grew up in the Midlands, originally in the west and then my folks up and moved over to the east with my fathers industrial steelworks job.
I enjoyed growing up in the heart of England. There is so much heritage and culture back home from all the historical buildings, canals and waterways of the industrial revolution to the choice in so much worldly food and restaurants. The people are great and I have a lot of friends and family back there. That said Cornwall has been my home for years now and I am grateful of the views and lifestyle I have here and the new friends I have made."

There is a strong graphic element to your work – do you enjoy being able to use these tools, like illustrator and photoshop, to transform an image?
"I find the more you do with pencil & pen the better, even the mistakes you make add their own element to the piece. I like to use parts of the creative suite later on, mainly to experiment with colour more than anything."
Extract from Richards recent interview with Daisy Campbell for Hickory News to read the full article click here 



No comments:

Post a Comment