Wednesday 25 March 2015

Pictures of my Father




"That day when I entered the house, 27 Devon Way, Bailiff Bridge, Brighouse, Yorkshire, that day, 29th July 2009, eight months after my father’s death, I wasn’t really sure what I was looking for or expecting to find: evidence maybe of a life lived, of our Book of Lives - a life lived somewhere in the now-empty house, a house cleared from decades of clutter and functionality. Evidence maybe then, or truths - photography after all deals with truths - since I had spent the biggest part of my life so far, inhabiting and living in these rooms and that is true. They were truths then or evidence of the truth, something authentic and tangible - not the imaginary realities we invented and told."

Jeff Leak recently designed this art catalogue to accompany Dr. Peter Day's recent Arts Council funded exhibition 'Pictures of my Father', at The Surface Gallery, Nottingham. The 96 page catalogue was realised collaboratively proving to be "a thoroughly enjoyable process". Reworked spreads from the book were eventually chosen as the final artwork that was framed for the exhibition itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment